4 Hugues Ross Writes a Devlog: Roundup, May 2017 - Oh man I sure do hope the mosquitoes don't--
Hugues Ross

6/4/17

Roundup, May 2017 - Oh man I sure do hope the mosquitoes don't--

It took great courage and perseverance, but I finally drove back the mosquitoes that definitely ate all of last week's update. So, here it is:


Additional Comments

I had some difficulty capturing/rendering this video. Last time, I used glc for the video capture. However, glc's audio recorder is really buggy and doesn't work on my machine. It's also quite old, so I'm worried about relying on it too much. This time I made a recording with FFmpeg, but it's just a normal desktop capture so it's a bit slower than I'd like. Next time, I'll probably try to capture the video and audio separately. It might be annoying to line the two up in editing, but it will probably result in a higher-quality video.

The big gain from rewriting the audio system is that multiple audio players should now be able to play audio from the same source at the same time. This means that I don't have to reload a sound effect every time I want to use it, and instead I can easily load once and play hundreds of times. As you can guess, this is really useful for games where you could easily have a couple dozen objects that can make the same sound.

Goals

  • Time left: about 2 1/2 months
  • Application Module: Done 
  • Audio Module: 95%
  • Core Module: Done
  • Editor Module: Not Started
  • Gameplay Module: 80%
    • Missing joystick emulation for input
  • Graphics Module: 65%
    • Missing sprites
    • Missing text
    • Missing framebuffers
    • Missing particles
  • Math Module: Done
  • Resource Module: 65%
    • Missing sprite loading
    • Missing font loading
This month went a little slower than I'd hoped, and some of the code that I wrote feels a bit rushed. As a result, I'm going to need to do another quick pass on the audio and resource modules at some point, just to tighten them up a bit. That's not what I'm doing for June, however. I want to get the last couple essential features, sprites and text, done. This will happen as part of a greater attempt to finish off the graphics module as a whole. I don't expect to finish all of it this month, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if I could sneak framebuffer support in.

If all goes to plan as it has so far, I'll have over a month left over to clean up any loose ends and improve my workflow in preparation.

Next month's posts will feature lots of Linux shell scripting. Much like in May, I'll be kicking off next week with some more organization work.
Post a Comment